Things I've Talked About

18 weeks (1) 20 week scan (1) 20 weeks (1) 24 weeks 1 day (1) 26 weeks 1 day (1) 34 weeks (1) 35 weeks 5 days (1) 37 weeks (1) 39 weeks 1 day (1) 4 months (1) AIOs (1) allergies (1) anatomy scan (1) anniversary (1) anxiety (5) baby belly (1) Baby G (2) baby names (1) becoming a mom (1) bed rest (1) being neurotic (1) belly touching (2) birth story (2) birth weight (3) birth wishes (2) birthing class (1) blogging (2) blood pressure (3) boobs (3) breastfeeding (3) C25K (1) cake (1) Chair and a 1/2 (1) children (1) cholestasis (2) choroid plexus cyst (3) Christmas (1) chromosome (2) clot diapers (1) clothes (1) D and C (1) day care (1) depression (7) dizziness (1) doctor (4) doppler (3) dry heave (1) emotions (2) epidural (2) family (1) fatigue (1) favorite things (1) fear (1) fears (1) fetal pole (1) first time mom (2) Five Question Friday (13) flutters (1) food aversions (1) gagging (1) gas (1) gDiapers (1) Glad (1) going public (1) grieving (1) Guilt (2) hair (2) happy pill (3) headaches (1) heart beat (2) hippies (1) IComLeavWe (4) inhaler (1) kicks (2) labor (2) life (5) mannequins (1) maternity shirt (1) mattress (1) medication (1) Memorable Moment Monday (3) miscarriage (9) models (1) mommy musings (2) monosomy x (2) morning sickness (2) mourning (1) movement (3) movies (1) NaBloPoMo (3) nausea (1) needles (1) New Beginnings (1) New Year's (1) NT scan (1) opinions (1) PAIL (4) parenting decisions (3) period (1) pictures i drew (1) pocket diapers (1) poke (1) pops (1) post (1) postpartum (4) pre-eclampsia (1) pre-folds (1) pregnancy (8) pregnancy brain (1) Pregnant Lady PSA (1) Ramblings (2) Rememberance Day (1) Remembrance Day (1) SAHM (1) scared (1) second trimester (1) shimmy (1) silly things I have done (1) similarities (1) smart knot (1) Snappi (1) sofa (1) spotting (1) stuffy nose (1) telling people (3) therapy (1) things to remember (1) third trimester (6) thoughts (1) Turner Syndrome (1) ultrasound (2) uterus (1) Valentine's Day (1) Wednesday Weigh In (21) working (1) yolk sac (1)

Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Cell Phone Debate

Over the weekend one of my friends asked me, "When are you going to give Baby G his first cell phone?"

I've been asking myself this question for several years. Personally, I don't think he needs one until he starts driving. I didn't get one until I was in college and I only got one in the because I paid for it. I didn't want to make a four hour drive to and from school on a major highway by myself and get stuck at the side of the road. It terrified me. I got it to feel safer on the road.

When I explained this to my friend, she replied, "Yeah, but now kids are getting them in elementary school. You don't want him to be the uncool kid without a cell phone!"
That's true. But I also don't have $100 a month for him to have his own phone. I barely have that to cover my own!

I relayed this conversation with my husband the next afternoon. He said, "We'll get him a Jitterbug."

"Great," I groaned. "And then he'll be teased because he's got the 'old person's' phone!"

Ten years ago these conversations would never have happened.

Six years ago I thought my 12 year old cousin getting a cell phone was ridiculous.

One year ago I thought my friend giving her 10 month old her old iPhone was insane.

Three weeks ago I realized I that Hubby and I are going to have to figure out what is going to be okay and not okay for Baby G to have as play things as far as technology is concerned, and we'll have to figure it out much sooner than we realize.

Baby G is extremely interested in our smart phones and lap tops. In fact, as soon as I hold mine up he starts smiling because he thinks I'm taking his picture. He'll grab for them and I have to make sure they are out of arm's reach lest he grabs one and uses it as a teething toy.

I think he's interested because the screens are so bright. He's always liked staring at white walls and lights. Computer monitors, phones, and the TV are all bright things. It makes sense he wants to play with these things.

But I am not sure I want him to -- yet.

Technology these days makes it so easy to do things for you. Baby G will never know what a card catalogue is. I worry he isn't going to be able to look up words in the dictionary or encyclopedia. I wonder if he'll be able to locate a specific book on a library shelf.

I want him to learn by doing. He is so curious about his surroundings, even at four months. I can see him trying to figure out how some of his toys work when he's playing with them. I don't want him to lose that.

I want him to use his imagination. To build forts, to build cities with Legos, to tie a sheet around his shoulders and pretend he is a super hero.

I won't mind him playing video games or watching TV. I believe that, when used in moderation, those things can be very good for learning and keeping the mind sharp.. But I do want Baby G to enjoy his childhood without having his eyes glued to the phone, computer or TV. I don't want him using these things as much as Hubby and I do now. (FYI, I am working on keeping my phone out of sight during dinner and in between Baby G's nap times. I firmly believe that children, even ones as young as Baby G, are very observant and intuitive. If I want him to do things a certain way I'd better make sure I do things that way as well. Plus, no one talks when they're constantly keeping track of their virtual lives. I want Baby G to be a decent conversationalist.)

I can see myself caving earlier than I want to on the cell phone. No one wants their child to be the "uncool" kid in school. But no matter what age we allow Baby G to start using technology like that, I hope that Hubby and I can agree on some limitations as to their usage.

3 comments:

  1. That is a tough one. I know at the school I was teaching at (primary) kids had to hand their cell phones in at the office. Parents give them when they are divorced so when they sleep over with dad they can phone mom. So I would think more high school... Although the iPad, has lots of educational games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's tricky to find the balance! My husband and I have had similar dicussions. There's been so much change since we were kids. It makes me sad to think our kids
    may not experience their childhood the same way we did and we're going to try our best to make sure that doesn't happen!
    In some school districts in our area, they aren't even teaching cursive anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hated cursive :) I think because we HAD to write in cursive every time we wrote anything in elementary school. I loved being able to write print when I got to middle school. Of course, now my handwriting reflects both cursive and print.

      It does make me sad that some schools don't teach it. I think it's a cool thing to learn even if you don't use it all the time!

      Delete