Baby G's Granma and Grandpa (Hubby's parents) watched him one morning when he was three weeks old. It was the first time since he was in the NICU that I left him in the care of someone other than Hubby for more than a couple of hours.
I knew he'd be okay. My mother-in-law ran a day care out of her home until just a few years ago when she moved away from the area. But they say no one knows your baby better than you, and I had a better idea of what he wanted and when, even at three weeks old. I tried to tell her what to expect (as best as I could given Baby G doesn't really have a set schedule), and told her what he seemed to liked and didn't like. I told her overall, he's pretty good; he usually falls asleep after eating. I don't know how much she really heard because she was too busy standing over Hubby during a diaper change and insisting on pictures being taken while she took over Baby G.
I told her what to expect in regards to feedings (every hour and a half to two hours, but sometimes he'll go through a spurt where he wants food every hour), rocking (I had just started doing this to help him calm down), and swaddling (no, he doesn't like to be swaddled).
We ended up being gone an hour or two longer than we had anticipated. I suffered from separation anxiety, despite knowing Baby G was in good hands. But it was so good to be out of the house with just the Hubby, even if the most romantic things we did were go to the baby store and a fast food joint for lunch.
When we got back Mother-in-Law gave me the run down of how things went. He ate, they cuddled, Grandpa held him for a while, they took pictures. It sounded like things went fine. But then...
"He doesn't nap well."
For the two weeks we'd had him home he slept just fine. He was noisy, as he has trouble passing gas and poop, but I was told all babies are noisy when they sleep. And he would sleep for a couple of hours after feeding when I was home with him. So to me he napped just fine.
From the sound of it, Mother-in-Law was up and down every five minutes to check on him. Something I never did unless his noises escalated into cries. Whether she was doing it because Baby G was crying or she couldn't get enough of her grandson, I'll never know.
I didn't know what to say to her without sounding smug. After all, I hadn't had problems getting him down for naps.
So I moved past the topic with a shrug and apologized that he didn't sleep well. Then I stewed about it for a week.
As the weeks have gone by, Baby G's napping skills seem to be getting worse. I know that newborns sleep a lot during the first few weeks, but I am lucky if I can get Baby G to sleep for more than 30 minutes any place other than on me. Hubby started giving him a pacifier every time he put Baby G in the crib and I have started doing the same if he doesn't stay asleep after I put him down. I so desperately wanted to avoid the pacifier altogether, but sometimes it is the only way to get him to sleep. And there are days where Baby G just won't accept it from me. He knows I have something better to suck on. Those days we're both cranky and tear streaked by the time Hubby comes home from work.
Lately, sometimes, I can't help but think we were jinxed.
Things I've Talked About
18 weeks
(1)
20 week scan
(1)
20 weeks
(1)
24 weeks 1 day
(1)
26 weeks 1 day
(1)
34 weeks
(1)
35 weeks 5 days
(1)
37 weeks
(1)
39 weeks 1 day
(1)
4 months
(1)
AIOs
(1)
allergies
(1)
anatomy scan
(1)
anniversary
(1)
anxiety
(5)
baby belly
(1)
Baby G
(2)
baby names
(1)
becoming a mom
(1)
bed rest
(1)
being neurotic
(1)
belly touching
(2)
birth story
(2)
birth weight
(3)
birth wishes
(2)
birthing class
(1)
blogging
(2)
blood pressure
(3)
boobs
(3)
breastfeeding
(3)
C25K
(1)
cake
(1)
Chair and a 1/2
(1)
children
(1)
cholestasis
(2)
choroid plexus cyst
(3)
Christmas
(1)
chromosome
(2)
clot diapers
(1)
clothes
(1)
D and C
(1)
day care
(1)
depression
(7)
dizziness
(1)
doctor
(4)
doppler
(3)
dry heave
(1)
emotions
(2)
epidural
(2)
family
(1)
fatigue
(1)
favorite things
(1)
fear
(1)
fears
(1)
fetal pole
(1)
first time mom
(2)
Five Question Friday
(13)
flutters
(1)
food aversions
(1)
gagging
(1)
gas
(1)
gDiapers
(1)
Glad
(1)
going public
(1)
grieving
(1)
Guilt
(2)
hair
(2)
happy pill
(3)
headaches
(1)
heart beat
(2)
hippies
(1)
IComLeavWe
(4)
inhaler
(1)
kicks
(2)
labor
(2)
life
(5)
mannequins
(1)
maternity shirt
(1)
mattress
(1)
medication
(1)
Memorable Moment Monday
(3)
miscarriage
(9)
models
(1)
mommy musings
(2)
monosomy x
(2)
morning sickness
(2)
mourning
(1)
movement
(3)
movies
(1)
NaBloPoMo
(3)
nausea
(1)
needles
(1)
New Beginnings
(1)
New Year's
(1)
NT scan
(1)
opinions
(1)
PAIL
(4)
parenting decisions
(3)
period
(1)
pictures i drew
(1)
pocket diapers
(1)
poke
(1)
pops
(1)
post
(1)
postpartum
(4)
pre-eclampsia
(1)
pre-folds
(1)
pregnancy
(8)
pregnancy brain
(1)
Pregnant Lady PSA
(1)
Ramblings
(2)
Rememberance Day
(1)
Remembrance Day
(1)
SAHM
(1)
scared
(1)
second trimester
(1)
shimmy
(1)
silly things I have done
(1)
similarities
(1)
smart knot
(1)
Snappi
(1)
sofa
(1)
spotting
(1)
stuffy nose
(1)
telling people
(3)
therapy
(1)
things to remember
(1)
third trimester
(6)
thoughts
(1)
Turner Syndrome
(1)
ultrasound
(2)
uterus
(1)
Valentine's Day
(1)
Wednesday Weigh In
(21)
working
(1)
yolk sac
(1)
I think all babies go through that phase of where it seems like their sleep/naps regress. Not sure why, but I remember reading it in a book somewhere. Hopefully it will get better soon! Aiden actually used to always want his pacifier to sleep with, but suddenly he's decided he doesn't want it anymore and refuses to take it. Maybe Baby G will get tired of it eventually and refuse to take his! Hope the sleep issues improve soon!
ReplyDeleteWish I could help.. but I am kind of in the same situation myself at the moment. Alidia used to nap very well but now, just the past few weeks, she always needs the pacifier to nap in the day (luckily still not at night), which I was hoping to avoid. I hope others have some good advice! I was hoping to ditch the pacifier pretty soon but now she just seems to need it more! Hope his napping gets better for you soon so you aren't feeling as exhausted at the end of the day!!
ReplyDeleteI don't know if this will make you feel better or worse, but Stella's naps got progressively shorter from 2 months to 5 months...and just now are they starting to randomly be longer (45-90 minutes instead of 20 minutes). Just saying, it probably wasn't your MIL. :) However, I get why it was frustrating that she didn't listen to you - I've had similar issues with the couple of times that my MIL has watched Stella. GRR!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear that this seems normal! Thankfully Baby G doesn't seem to need the pacifier at night. I hope he won't decide he needs it then.
ReplyDelete