Things I've Talked About

18 weeks (1) 20 week scan (1) 20 weeks (1) 24 weeks 1 day (1) 26 weeks 1 day (1) 34 weeks (1) 35 weeks 5 days (1) 37 weeks (1) 39 weeks 1 day (1) 4 months (1) AIOs (1) allergies (1) anatomy scan (1) anniversary (1) anxiety (5) baby belly (1) Baby G (2) baby names (1) becoming a mom (1) bed rest (1) being neurotic (1) belly touching (2) birth story (2) birth weight (3) birth wishes (2) birthing class (1) blogging (2) blood pressure (3) boobs (3) breastfeeding (3) C25K (1) cake (1) Chair and a 1/2 (1) children (1) cholestasis (2) choroid plexus cyst (3) Christmas (1) chromosome (2) clot diapers (1) clothes (1) D and C (1) day care (1) depression (7) dizziness (1) doctor (4) doppler (3) dry heave (1) emotions (2) epidural (2) family (1) fatigue (1) favorite things (1) fear (1) fears (1) fetal pole (1) first time mom (2) Five Question Friday (13) flutters (1) food aversions (1) gagging (1) gas (1) gDiapers (1) Glad (1) going public (1) grieving (1) Guilt (2) hair (2) happy pill (3) headaches (1) heart beat (2) hippies (1) IComLeavWe (4) inhaler (1) kicks (2) labor (2) life (5) mannequins (1) maternity shirt (1) mattress (1) medication (1) Memorable Moment Monday (3) miscarriage (9) models (1) mommy musings (2) monosomy x (2) morning sickness (2) mourning (1) movement (3) movies (1) NaBloPoMo (3) nausea (1) needles (1) New Beginnings (1) New Year's (1) NT scan (1) opinions (1) PAIL (4) parenting decisions (3) period (1) pictures i drew (1) pocket diapers (1) poke (1) pops (1) post (1) postpartum (4) pre-eclampsia (1) pre-folds (1) pregnancy (8) pregnancy brain (1) Pregnant Lady PSA (1) Ramblings (2) Rememberance Day (1) Remembrance Day (1) SAHM (1) scared (1) second trimester (1) shimmy (1) silly things I have done (1) similarities (1) smart knot (1) Snappi (1) sofa (1) spotting (1) stuffy nose (1) telling people (3) therapy (1) things to remember (1) third trimester (6) thoughts (1) Turner Syndrome (1) ultrasound (2) uterus (1) Valentine's Day (1) Wednesday Weigh In (21) working (1) yolk sac (1)

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Entertaining Baby

Hubby and I have had a hard time trying to figure out how to entertain Baby G. He's more content at staring at lights than he is doing anything else.

At first we slept when he slept, which was a lot so there really wasn't much time for playing. The most entertainment he'd get was swinging in his musical swing. But now he is awake more often during the day and I am sometimes at a loss of what to do with him other than hold him and talk to him. He doesn't seem to like any sort of activity for more than 5 maybe 10 minutes. By then he's either overwhelmed or bored.

We weren't being good about giving Baby G tummy time. I think it's because he's so good at holding his head up when we hold him. But when he started trying to crawl up me when I held him, I decided to give him tummy time to see if he'd be able to scoot himself forward. To my amazement he can, as long as he can grab the blanket under him. The first time I did this he moved a good three inches forward. I've never known a baby so young to do something like that. I thought they just stayed put and worked on picking up their head!


But then I also realized that while he might be able to hold his head fairly steadily when we hold him, he has to work really hard at picking it up when he's on his stomach. So now I make sure he gets tummy time at least once a day.

And I think he likes it! He'll coo and smile. He'll tolerate it longer than his play mat (I think the toys than hang down from it tend to freak him out after a while). You can tell he's trying to crawl, especially when you put a toy in front of him where he can see it. He just has to figure out his arms have to move along with his legs. And, of course, he has to figure out how to keep his head up while he's laying down. My guess is that he'll be crawling sooner than Hubby and I had anticipated.



Baby G has really started "talking" this week. I love it! I have no idea what he's trying to tell me, but we'll carry on a conversation with him just the same. He's also started grabbing the toys that hang down from his activity mat instead of faliling his arms around and missing them. These small accomplishements don't seem like a big deal, but when we're talking about a teeny tiny person it is. It definitly makes me a proud and happy mama!

Tummy Time!

1 comment: