Things I've Talked About

18 weeks (1) 20 week scan (1) 20 weeks (1) 24 weeks 1 day (1) 26 weeks 1 day (1) 34 weeks (1) 35 weeks 5 days (1) 37 weeks (1) 39 weeks 1 day (1) 4 months (1) AIOs (1) allergies (1) anatomy scan (1) anniversary (1) anxiety (5) baby belly (1) Baby G (2) baby names (1) becoming a mom (1) bed rest (1) being neurotic (1) belly touching (2) birth story (2) birth weight (3) birth wishes (2) birthing class (1) blogging (2) blood pressure (3) boobs (3) breastfeeding (3) C25K (1) cake (1) Chair and a 1/2 (1) children (1) cholestasis (2) choroid plexus cyst (3) Christmas (1) chromosome (2) clot diapers (1) clothes (1) D and C (1) day care (1) depression (7) dizziness (1) doctor (4) doppler (3) dry heave (1) emotions (2) epidural (2) family (1) fatigue (1) favorite things (1) fear (1) fears (1) fetal pole (1) first time mom (2) Five Question Friday (13) flutters (1) food aversions (1) gagging (1) gas (1) gDiapers (1) Glad (1) going public (1) grieving (1) Guilt (2) hair (2) happy pill (3) headaches (1) heart beat (2) hippies (1) IComLeavWe (4) inhaler (1) kicks (2) labor (2) life (5) mannequins (1) maternity shirt (1) mattress (1) medication (1) Memorable Moment Monday (3) miscarriage (9) models (1) mommy musings (2) monosomy x (2) morning sickness (2) mourning (1) movement (3) movies (1) NaBloPoMo (3) nausea (1) needles (1) New Beginnings (1) New Year's (1) NT scan (1) opinions (1) PAIL (4) parenting decisions (3) period (1) pictures i drew (1) pocket diapers (1) poke (1) pops (1) post (1) postpartum (4) pre-eclampsia (1) pre-folds (1) pregnancy (8) pregnancy brain (1) Pregnant Lady PSA (1) Ramblings (2) Rememberance Day (1) Remembrance Day (1) SAHM (1) scared (1) second trimester (1) shimmy (1) silly things I have done (1) similarities (1) smart knot (1) Snappi (1) sofa (1) spotting (1) stuffy nose (1) telling people (3) therapy (1) things to remember (1) third trimester (6) thoughts (1) Turner Syndrome (1) ultrasound (2) uterus (1) Valentine's Day (1) Wednesday Weigh In (21) working (1) yolk sac (1)

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Thoughts on my first ICLW

I completed my first IComLeavWe this past week. I didn't think it would be hard, but finding the time to read, comment, and reply to the comments made on my blog proved very hard with my schedule. That said, here are my thoughts on my first ICLW:

 
  • I want to do this again. It was comforting coming across a blogger who had the same thoughts and fears I have felt over the last year. It definitely made me feel less alone. It also made me feel good to have the opportunity give advice or let others know, Hey, I've been there. I know how you feel!
  • Next time I participate, I need to make sure I really have time to to it. Because of my busy schedule, I was doing most of my reading and commenting of other blogs at work. I realized quickly that this wasn't the best plan. So many posts brought me to tears as I got glimpses into other peoples lives and losses and struggles. Anyone who is willing to put their stories out there is brave and I admire all of them, whether I read their blog or not. I did this during the one year anniversary of finding out about the loss of my first baby. I was an emotional mess for the first two days of ICLW, which probably attributed to some of the water works. At least I could have played off the tears as third trimester hormones if anyone had questioned me. 
  • I found a few more blogs to follow. Yay for 4am reading material! 
  • I am not totally sure what to say in my comments to blogs I visited. I apologize if any of them seemed awkward. I'm used to just reading blogs and ICLW started to help come out of my Blogger Shell a little. There were a lot of blogs written by women struggling with infertility. I haven't had a problem with getting pregnant. I have only had one loss and it was an early one at that. I have only felt the fear and worry that I could have problems conceiving and staying pregnant. It made me feel like I am in a category all my own. A simple "Hello from ICLW" didn't seem to be enough. But I didn't always know how to write a relateable comment either. I'll admit, the fear of the writers coming over to my blog only to see that I've had one loss and really no struggle to get pregnant kept me from commenting on a lot of blogs. I'm hoping that the more I get into blogging and putting myself out there, the easier all this will become for me. 
  • On the flip side, even if I've been scared to comment, some of those women haven't been scared to leave comments for me and welcome me into the community. It definitely made me happy that I found Stirrup Queens' blog and gave ICLW a shot. 
  • I suck at commenting back. I'm not used to having people comment on my blog, so it was a struggle to even remember to check for them every day. It was also a new experience to pick a comment to comment back on. I felt like it would be polite to respond to every ones comments, but there just don't seem to be enough hours in the day for me at the moment. I cheated, picked the post that had the most comments and wrote a general one back to everyone who wrote one. This does not make me feel good about myself and I vow to be a lot better the next time I sign up.
I'm on the fence about participating this month. My due date is the 28th. I could very well get through it all with no problem. But I can't help but think, What if I have my baby during that week? I won't be able to follow through again. For sure I'm planning on doing it again in April when I'm on leave though!

3 comments:

  1. My first ICLW I also felt a lot of pressure to fulfill the commenting requirement! But if you don't, that's okay! I mostly use ICLW to find new blogs to follow and to get more followers, so maybe I don't post 6 comments in one day but I will be commenting on all the blogs I follow at some point or another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe - never second guess yourself. Your support is felt - whether you leave a world-class comment or not. I'm appreciative to have found out. Another pregnancy after loss person out there to keep me sane is valuable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I signed up for ICLW this month, and I have a few hesitations for the same reasons you talk about - it was not difficult for me to get pregnant, I've only had one loss, and there's no particular reason to think it won't work out next time other than a learned fatalism. So I understand where you're coming from and I'm glad you put it into words.

    Amanda, thanks for your take on it.

    And Emma, if you can't participate in ICLW this month for the reason you state, I think we'll all understand :)

    ReplyDelete