I started my weekly doctor appointments on Wednesday so I get weekly updates on you now. I had my first internal exam as well. I didn't think I would start those until this week. I got tested for Group B Strep too.
I saw the midwife and she doesn't think you will be a 10 pounder when you are born. Nine maybe, but not ten. She squished my tummy and felt around for you after we listened to your heart beat and estimated you at about six and a half pounds at that point, saying she thinks the ultrasound was off.
The internal exam found I am not dilated yet but my cervix is shortening. I know any changes to my cervix doesn't mean much at this point, but it's nice to know something is happening even if we still have 5 weeks or so left. The midwife was also able to feel the tip of your head. She confirmed my suspicion that you had dropped a little bit. I think you may have moved since that appointment though.
The midwife was concerned with my blood pressure. It was a little above normal (144/something. Normal is below 140). It's the second time this month I have seen her and my pressure has been above normal. She wanted to pull me out of work, but I asked for a blood test first.
The midwife called today and said my Group B test is negative. I'm so glad I won't have to worry about being hooked up to an IV for that when I deliver you. My liver proteins are also fine, so I don't have pre-eclampsia. But my calcium level is low and so is my protein level. I should have continued to take my calcium supplements. For some reason I got off the wagon on that one. I hate milk and cheese and, well, most dairy products. I'll have to go to the store this week and buy some yogurt (the only kind I like is kids Tri.x yogurt, which is probably so full of sugar it isn't worth eating, but in my head it's better than nothing). This news makes me feel very guilty. I know better. I just hope you have been able to take what you need from me to be healthy. Since my protein levels are low I have to eat more meat too. I'm also not a huge meat eater but I've actually been wanting chicken lately, so maybe my body has been telling me something I didn't know. So more chicken and even more peanut butter are coming your way!
Even though my blood work is normal, I told the midwife about a blood pressure spike I had last week after my last appointment. My concern is, even though it was within normal range (137 in the AM and 131 in the PM), it was high for this pregnancy. My usual numbers are usually around 115 to 120. She agreed that is high for me and I should bring in my readings to the next appointment and to tell the nurse not to take my blood pressure when I am taken back to the exam room to give myself a chance to rest before being seen.
I have no idea if I'll be seeing the doctor or the midwife on Wednesday. It usually depends on who is available when it's time for me to be seen. I could see the midwife and get told my numbers are all over the place and it will be best to stay home from work here on out or I could see the doctor and be told that everything is fine and to carry on as normal. Since I have had problems with high blood pressure pre-pregnancy, I'm leaning more towards the midwife's point of view and am ready to start my maternity leave early. I realized on Thursday that I'm scared of losing you over a difference of opinion.
In other news, I think you changed positions over the weekend. I think you are still head down, but your head seems to have shifted to the right and I believe your bottom is poking out on my left side instead of the right. And I'm feeling your hiccups more on my right side versus the left.
Every now and then I can feel what seems to be a foot and what is either a knee or a fist. That's pretty cool.
You seemed kicked on cue yesterday. I was telling a friend how strange it is to see my belly moving around and you immediately kicked. We were both pretty excited about that. If you could do that for Daddy I think he would be excited too.
Love,
Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment