When I got pregnant the first time I considered using my blog as a way for friends and family to keep in touch with how the baby and I were doing.
That all changed when I found out I miscarried our first baby. I soon realized that my blog was the best form of therapy I could have. As a person who has a lot of trouble expressing how she feels verbally, I found I was able to express my thoughts and feelings with minimal effort, without having to explain my feelings to other people who didn't understand what I was going through, by writing.
So my blog sat unshared with the world for several months while I sorted out my feelings and tried to pull myself away from the fine line I was walking between grief and depression.
I'm not over my grief. Not at all. It's been about 13 monts since our first little one died and tomorrow will mark the 1 year anniversary I found out about it. There isn't a day that has gone by that I haven't thought about her. But I am more motivated to do more than lay in bed and cry. And that's good.
I struggled with trying to find a group of people who I could relate to. I found that there were plenty of blogs out there with people struggling with infertility. But I couldn't find any for a person in my position: someone who lost their first baby and had no idea if she could or would produce a live, full term baby.
When I got pregnant with Little Guy I took my first plunge and I added my blog link to my signature on the baby website I frequent. I wasn't so sure about doing this, but the more I wrote on my blog, the more I wanted others know that yes, miscarriages happen and yes, they suck, but no, they aren't they only ones who have been through it. I wanted my blog to be something I didn't have during my loneliest and most bitter days. Something others going through a similar experience could read and take comfort in knowing there was someone out there who has gone through, or going through, the same thing. Because it is so easy to get pissed off whenever you see a pregnancy announcement on Facebook, or you want to cry at the sight of a pregnant woman or baby, or you start to think something is wrong with you when you're still grieving over a loss that happened months ago and people say you "should be over it by now".
I recently came across the Stirrup Queens blog. She has lists of blogs for almost every type of parenting situation: IVF, adoption, pregnancy after loss, living child free, PCOS, among others.
I took a look around, read a few blogs, and wanted to cry. Not just because I was reading about people brave enough to share their feelings and stories, but also because this was just the kind of thing I was searching for 11 months ago but for some reason couldn't find. I think I may have been too wrapped up in what I was feeling to take the time to look hard enough.
I am happy to say that this blog is now listed under Pregnancy After Loss.
And Stirrup Queens does something that I think is really neat. Every month she reminds us about International Comment Leaving Week ("IComLeavWe"). The link leads you to the explaination, but if you don't have time for that, I'll give you a quick run down: if you want to participate you just need to add your blog to the list of participants during the open enrollment period. Then, during the 21st though the 28th of every month you leave a comment (daily) on 5 different blogs from the list and respond to a comment someone left on your blog.
I've signed up as a participant this month to start sharing my experiences and hopefully connect with people out there in Blog World. And maybe give me a kick in the pants to try and post to my blog more often. I have a never ending list of topics to write about. I just don't always have the time. I'd blog at work if I wasn't so scared of getting in trouble. (Although, I may or may not have downloaded a blogging app so I can write drafts about all the things that run through my head during the day!)
I can't say putting my thoughts and feelings out there for the world to read doesn't scare me. I am the kind of person who worries about what people think of her, especially if I throw something out there that not everyone would agree with. Making the decision to put my blog out there for others to read was a hard one to make, but hopefully one that was worth making.
Hi! I found you through ICLW :)
ReplyDeleteI haven't experienced a loss but when I started treatment I felt so alone, especially since it was such a bad experience. It took me months before I discovered ICLW and Stirrup Queens, and when I started blogging I wish I had started a long time before. I can honestly say being a part of this online community has changed my approach to treatment and made me a more confident and knowledgeable person as a result. I'm glad you found it, and I hope you find meaning and support from the women you connect with through ICLW :)
Well I hope that you find blogging to be a positive experience. Like you, I find it very therapeutic. I don't think I could have gotten through my experience of loss and pregnancy after loss without it.
ReplyDeleteHello! Welcome from ICLW!
ReplyDeleteI've skimmed some of your blogs and can totally relate to what you have written. I just found out I'm pregnant again after 2 m/c. Our first, like your first, ended in missed m/c. We didn't know until our 12 week ultrasound. Fetus didn't progress past 9.5 weeks. Our second was a blighted ovum we caught at the 6 week ultrasound. This time around I feel things are different. I hope all the best for you in the weeks ahead! If you have any pointers on how to survive the first trimester, then please let me know!
Happy ICLW! I too am starting to make my blog more public. It's been amazing therapy as I struggled to understand our two early losses and even struggled to define them. At 4 weeks, is it truly a miscarriage? If you never see anything on ultrasound, does it count? Regardless, I've found the internet community to be a wonderful source of support. And hope to some time join your blog in the pregnant side of the blogroll.
ReplyDeleteAs you say, on the stirrup queens blog list you will find all sorts of similar situations. Mine is one. I am infertile, but via IVF, after years of trying, I had a baby, which I lost at 20 weeks because of incompetent cervix. Now, I really didn't know if I can have a live baby, because the IC was pretty bad. I had a special form of cerclage put in, and the cerclage, although it eroded through the wall of the uterus and was found inside the uterus instead of outside like it was initially placed, did the trick, I had a live baby which I am parenting. Wicked stuff. I nearly died though. BUt lived to tell the tale.
ReplyDeleteUgh, the things we have to go through!
ICLW102
Our timeline is very similar. I also lost our first baby about a year ago (found out at the 12 week appointment on 2/1/11). It is terrifying to share what's happening in your head with anonymous people, but from the comments I've gotten, people who read my blog are just happy someone is saying what they're thinking. That's helped the most after some of my really emotional and depressed posts.
ReplyDeleteWith that said . . . hi from ICLW #45! And congratulations on your pregnancy! :-)
Good Luck in your pregnancy!
ReplyDelete{From ICLW} Lavonne @ *Our Wish*
I also hid in anonymity for a while, but since I've started commenting on others blogs and now being part of ICLW, I've found so much support from others in this community. I hope it is a positive experience for you as well.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes!
Here for ICLW. I am sorry for your loss. I lost one in my second trimester, 7 years ago. The anniversaries are always hard, but I mostly clam up. You are brave for sharing your feelings. And congrats on your upcoming arrival. Best of luck to you!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss, but i am glad that you are blogging. i have found that blogging is a great way to sort out your feelings (cheaper than theraphy) and you get to meet such wonderful people in return... good luck
ReplyDeleteHello. First off, I am so, so sorry to read about your loss. It really is one of the worst things in the world to deal with. And being pregnant again, as happy of a time as it should be, is just as difficult, but in a totally different way. The fear of knowing what could happen eats at me every day. Stirrup Queen's site really is awesome. I have met so many wonderful women who have walked a similar path as mine and find it so helpful to know I'm not alone. I look forward to reading some more posts! Good luck!!
ReplyDeleteI think it's wonderful that you put your story out here :). I think people knowing about the experiences of the ALI community is amazing. Congrats on your pregnancy!
ReplyDeleteICLW #97
Glad to have you!!
ReplyDeleteICLW #6
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I'm sorry for the mass comment reply. I know that wasn't the point of ICLW, but time got away from me :( ICLW was definitely a positive experience for me and I hope to do it again!
ReplyDeleteEmma, thank you for sharing this! I stumbled upon the Stirrup Queen community a few weeks ago after starting my own blog in January, with the goal of helping me work through my feelings about miscarriage by putting them into words. Like you, I am not infertile, as far as I know (it's kind of an "until proven otherwise" state of being), but had lost a baby and had become uncertain whether I could in the future carry one to term, or whether this was a sign of future losses to come. Finding others in this position, in no small part due to the Stirrup Queen community, has been so comforting and therapeutic! I'm currently in the Loss room but hope to join you one day in Pregnancy After Loss.
ReplyDelete