My plan has been to breastfeed until the baby could start eating solids, around six months, then start weening but continue to pump so the baby could still get the benefits of breastmilk for another 6 months after that. My mom breastfed my siblings and I, so I never thought about whether or not it would be hard or easy.
Until now.
Now I'm not so sure my plan will work. I have been asked by several people what my feeding preference is. I've only received one negative reaction about my decision to breastfeed, but everyone who has given me three cheers for wanting to do it has immediately told me its hard, it hurts, and they haven't been able to do it exclusively, or if they could, they weren't able to for very long, especially if they had to return to work and pump.
I asked my mom how long she breastfeed us for. It was about 6 months for me. It wasn't as long for my brother, who was the youngest. Apparently my mom was stressed after his birth and it made breastfeeding difficult with him. This was exclusively breastfeeding. I have to return to work after eight weeks and will have to pump if I'm going to be able to feed Little Guy breast milk.
All this has me beyond discouraged. I mean, I know breastfeeding is supposed to be hard. I know its going to hurt. My nipples have never been sucked to the point they're cracking and bleeding before. I know you have to get the baby to latch on just so, and it takes practice by both mom and baby. I know that not all women are able to produce a sufficient amount of milk, if any at all.
I appreciate the honesty, I really do. I would, and probably will, be saying the same things to my pregnant friends and family down the road. But all this honesty is beginning to make me feel like a failure and I haven't been able to start trying yet.
I know that I won't be a failure as long as I give it my best try as I have been intending to all along. But if I don't succeed at exclusively breastfeeding and pumping for at least the first six months of Little Guy's life, I see myself having a hard time accepting that I will have to switch to or throw formula into the mix. I don't think I'll be so stubborn that I'll refuse him formula if he needs it, but I won't be doing it without some kicking and screaming of my own.
For the mammas out there who have breastfed, is the plan I have in mind even doable? How long were you able to exclusively breastfeed and pump? What tricks did you use? Am I crazy for feeling this way?
Hi, there, here from Stirrup Queens.
ReplyDeleteI breastfed my son for 14 months. I had no idea what bf entailed and how long I would do it. It just happened. In the beginning it was not easy, or simple, but then it got that way. And I loved every minute of it. It was simple and convenient and the bonding was great. Being able to soothe him whenever wherever was very nice. I had to wean because I got pregnant again and being 36, my doc thought it was better,
My advice would be to not start with any idea. I am a SAHM and I did not have to deal with working on top of sleep deprivation and fatigue. But I hear that one needs a lot of commitment to keep up the pumping (I did not do that, being sahm and all).
But just as with everything else related to birth, be flexible. The best laid out plans disappear in smoke and they can leave one very disappointed and you do not want to deal with that when hormones are raging (it IS the fourth trimester, it is true). If you can get help, a lactation consultant for example, it would really be helpful. Doctors and nurses do not know all that much about it, it is something different and you need someone who knows their stuff to help you, to tell what you are doing right or wrong, how to make it easier, better. As I said, it should be simple and natural and easy, reality is it is not all that easy, help is always appreciated.
Best of luck with everything. :-)
Hi Kimna! Thanks so much for the advice. I have a hard time not planning things out, so I am pretty sure that breastfeeding (and motherhood in general) is going to be a challenge :)
Delete