We didn't have anything special planned. For the past month I have been salivating just thinking about the anniversary cake we picked up yesterday. I'm so glad we didn't have to freeze the top layer of our cake. We got cupcakes in the flavors of our wedding cake last year and ended up putting in the refridgerator until we found the time to eat them. They weren't that good. I can only imagine we'd be severly disappointed in our anniversary cake if we had to freeze it.
Our Anniversary Cake
We have a slight problem in our household. A one bedroom condo and no where to sleep when we get mad at each other or Jake snores too loud. So our nothing special day turned into a shopping excursion for our condo.
We were lucky enough to have receive a lot of hand-me-downs from Jake's family when we moved in together. The only problem with hand-me-downs is that they're generally old and worn in. Our sofa, which I love, love, loved until about a year ago, has offically become too squishy for me. I sink in and have trouble trying to get off of it -- I can only imagine the extra trouble I'll have nine months pregnant. I discovered during my first pregnancy that I sunk in so much that I was having trouble breathing when I tried sleeping on it. When I got pregnant this time, I started bugging Jake for a new couch. One that I wouldn't have a huge problem sleeping on if his snoring bothered me too much (which is usually the problem that forces us to sleep in separate places).
I wanted a new couch but Jake wanted a new mattress. I don't dispute we need a new mattress, but I felt that, for my sanity, a new couch was more important. I want all the sleep I can get now because I know I won't get as much as I want when a baby comes along.
I ended up winning today.
We went to several stores to look at couches and mattresses today. We got stalked by sales people and I almost lost my temper with a sales associate at Mattress Warehouse who make me think I was back in Mexico bartering with vendors for t-shirts and souviners and who wouldn't let me leave when I said no thanks. This little man deserves his own post, or maybe a post with one of the jewlers we encountered while wedding ring shopping (it was a similar experience). It's one thing to give me an extra percentage off the sales price to make a sale, it's a whole other thing not to let me leave the store after I tell you no or I'll think about it. Ugh, anyway...
Since I wanted a sofa I could sleep on, my method of picking out a couch was a bit...different. First, it had to be firm. I didn't want something I was going to sink into before it was worn in. Second, I had to sprawl out on the couch and pretend I was getting ready to sleep on it to see where the cushion cracks hit me. I found that two cushion sofas were best as there were less cracks to sink into.
After sitting on many, many sofas at various furniture stores, we ended up at La-Z-Boy and finally agreed on a sofa and a Chair and a 1/2 set.
I have never heard of a Chair and a 1/2 until today and I think they're the coolest things ever! The size is in between a chair and a love seat. I loved that two people could sit on it, but it wouldn't take up as much room as a love seat. And since we don't have a lot of space now, and definitely won't when the baby comes, I fell in love with the Chair and a 1/2.
Even better -- both of our new couches convert to beds. I doubt I'll want to sleep on the mattress these chairs are coming with, but now I don't have to feel bad that someone has to sleep on the floor when we have more than one guest needing to spend the night. And if Jake decides to take the couch and let me sleep in the bed (which he has done several times lately because he is awesome), he has the option to sleep on something wider than the width of a couch. OH! And the mattresses lift up so you can sit up in bed a little bit.
Our next purchase will be a mattress. If for some reason I end up on bed rest, there's no way I could spend all day on the mattress we have right now. I used to really like couches and beds I could sink into, but now they make my back hurt. I guess must be getting old!

No comments:
Post a Comment