I went to my old job to get my glasses adjusted (I used to work for an optometrist office). My boss knew I was pregnant - I told him when I got my eyes examined. My brother also works there, so, obviously, he knew about my miscarriage.
I was unsure who my brother told, if he told anyone at all. And if he did tell anyone I was pregnant, did he also tell them I miscarried? Every time I went in there in January I was asked by someone, "Are you pregnant yet?" I was actually nervous about getting asked that question given my bi-polar emotional state of being at the moment.
My boss came out with a patient and said a quick hello. He said he had heard about my "circumstances" and was sorry.
"Thanks." I said.
Then he stood around and tried to think of something else to say before he finally said "There really isn't anything right to say."
"No. No there really isn't!" I actually said it with a laugh.
I thought maybe that would be it. I thought I would get away without being asked. It was kind of busy, so no one other than my brother really had time to talk to me. I decided to stay for a few moments and look at frames, and that's when I got bombarded by one of the "newer" employees.
Really, I don't think I can say she's new. She worked at an affiliate office when I worked for the company and she has helped me several times over the past year and a half. I don't expect her to remember everything about my life; she's sees hundreds of people every week. But she asks me the same questions every time I've seen her. I feel like she ought to remember something.
So I got asked the same questions. Do you live near by? Did you get a new job? How's married life?
Then she asked, "Are you planning on having kids soon?"
Oh, first I should say I really didn't want her following me around. So her presence started off as an annoyance to me. All I could do was nod at her question.
Then she asked in a whisper, "Are you pregnant now?"
"No."
She gave me a questionable look. Then she acted like she thought I was. Which made me wonder what did my brother tell people? Gossip travels fast in any workplace; I wouldn't be surprised if someone overheard a conversation between my old boss and my brother at some point in January or February, then started telling other people in the office.
So, seeing as I said "No" instead of breaking it to her what really happened, she decided to follow me around and talk to me about what a special time pregnancy is and all about pregnancy hormones (from what her sister in law told her; she's never been pregnant). I wanted so badly to interrupt her and tell her I know all about it. I don't need someone who hasn't experienced it at all before telling me how it is.
I don't know why I didn't just tell her what happened. Maybe because I was also surrounded by people who I didn't know? It definitely would have spared me the discussion of pregnancy at all.
When I left I wondered which is the lesser of two evils? Tell people right off the bat when they ask if I'm pregnant or am I trying? Or just say no, put on my happy face and walk away?
I still haven't figured it out.
Things I've Talked About
18 weeks
(1)
20 week scan
(1)
20 weeks
(1)
24 weeks 1 day
(1)
26 weeks 1 day
(1)
34 weeks
(1)
35 weeks 5 days
(1)
37 weeks
(1)
39 weeks 1 day
(1)
4 months
(1)
AIOs
(1)
allergies
(1)
anatomy scan
(1)
anniversary
(1)
anxiety
(5)
baby belly
(1)
Baby G
(2)
baby names
(1)
becoming a mom
(1)
bed rest
(1)
being neurotic
(1)
belly touching
(2)
birth story
(2)
birth weight
(3)
birth wishes
(2)
birthing class
(1)
blogging
(2)
blood pressure
(3)
boobs
(3)
breastfeeding
(3)
C25K
(1)
cake
(1)
Chair and a 1/2
(1)
children
(1)
cholestasis
(2)
choroid plexus cyst
(3)
Christmas
(1)
chromosome
(2)
clot diapers
(1)
clothes
(1)
D and C
(1)
day care
(1)
depression
(7)
dizziness
(1)
doctor
(4)
doppler
(3)
dry heave
(1)
emotions
(2)
epidural
(2)
family
(1)
fatigue
(1)
favorite things
(1)
fear
(1)
fears
(1)
fetal pole
(1)
first time mom
(2)
Five Question Friday
(13)
flutters
(1)
food aversions
(1)
gagging
(1)
gas
(1)
gDiapers
(1)
Glad
(1)
going public
(1)
grieving
(1)
Guilt
(2)
hair
(2)
happy pill
(3)
headaches
(1)
heart beat
(2)
hippies
(1)
IComLeavWe
(4)
inhaler
(1)
kicks
(2)
labor
(2)
life
(5)
mannequins
(1)
maternity shirt
(1)
mattress
(1)
medication
(1)
Memorable Moment Monday
(3)
miscarriage
(9)
models
(1)
mommy musings
(2)
monosomy x
(2)
morning sickness
(2)
mourning
(1)
movement
(3)
movies
(1)
NaBloPoMo
(3)
nausea
(1)
needles
(1)
New Beginnings
(1)
New Year's
(1)
NT scan
(1)
opinions
(1)
PAIL
(4)
parenting decisions
(3)
period
(1)
pictures i drew
(1)
pocket diapers
(1)
poke
(1)
pops
(1)
post
(1)
postpartum
(4)
pre-eclampsia
(1)
pre-folds
(1)
pregnancy
(8)
pregnancy brain
(1)
Pregnant Lady PSA
(1)
Ramblings
(2)
Rememberance Day
(1)
Remembrance Day
(1)
SAHM
(1)
scared
(1)
second trimester
(1)
shimmy
(1)
silly things I have done
(1)
similarities
(1)
smart knot
(1)
Snappi
(1)
sofa
(1)
spotting
(1)
stuffy nose
(1)
telling people
(3)
therapy
(1)
things to remember
(1)
third trimester
(6)
thoughts
(1)
Turner Syndrome
(1)
ultrasound
(2)
uterus
(1)
Valentine's Day
(1)
Wednesday Weigh In
(21)
working
(1)
yolk sac
(1)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment